Skip to main content

Bereavement support for your clients

Posted by: , Posted on: - Categories: General, News and Updates

woman sitting at a desk looking through papersAs agents you sometimes have to support families and customers navigate the important financial actions that need to be taken in the event of a bereavement. This blog talks you through some of the support that’s available.

The Tell Us Once service is offered by most local authorities on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions. Acting as a single point of contact it allows the bereaved person to advise central and local government, such as HMRC about the bereavement.

If you use the Tell Us Once service, HMRC will contact you about the tax, benefits and entitlements of the person who died and what needs to be done next. If you don’t use the Tell Us Once service it’s important you contact HMRC direct. We will work out whether there are any tax matters to be settled and how to do them.

You may also need to contact the National Insurance Contributions Office to make sure any National Insurance contributions are cancelled if the deceased made these payments voluntarily or were self employed.

Our bereavement guide has more information and allows you to work out which forms to fill in and where to send them.

For further information go to the GOV.UK page Bereavement and deceased estate.

Sharing and comments

Share this page