Hi, I’m Jenny Cowles.
I work as a Deputy Director in HMRC, leading the Agent Strategy, Stakeholder and Engagement Team.
If you are a tax agent authorised to act on behalf of our customers I hope we’ll be able to tell you some interesting and helpful snippets across the spectrum of different things you have, or choose, to deal with.
More about my team:
- the ‘strategy’ bit develops the way we want to work with agents, dealing with things like how we are improving the ways you can interact with us - for example, using digital channels to access self-services on behalf of your clients;
- the ‘stakeholders’ bit creates the communications to agents in the ‘tax agents and advisors’ pages of our website, occasional emails, briefings to HMRC/Professional Bodies, consultative groups and so on;
- the largest part of my team is involved in ‘engagement’. This includes supporting local Working Together meetings, driving progress on service delivery improvements in response to issues that agents identify (through Working Together and the Joint Initiative), providing toolkits that advise on the common mistakes in tax returns and offering education - for example, sessions explaining the new Real Time Information in PAYE.
What am I, and colleagues in the team, going to blog about and why?
This blog is to help us work better with you.
Over the next couple of years, HMRC is introducing new processes for customers and their agents that use digital technology and enable everyone to 'self-serve'.
There’s lots of joint work going on; we involve and consult agents and their representatives in many different ways. But the more formal ways in which we communicate – minutes of meetings and Agent Updates – can be slow and limited.
We therefore hope to keep you better updated through regular blogging and it will give us a more immediate way of getting your views.
Our blog will focus on:
- joint HMRC and agent consultative meetings
- the rollout of HMRC's Tax Agent Strategy (more about that in later blogs)
- improvements to service delivery through joint working
- services available for agents.
This is a completely new channel for HMRC, so please bear with us.
But my first question is: what do you want to hear about from us?