HMRC has been talking to professional body representatives about how to make best use of the time we all spend at joint meetings. We want to eliminate duplication and repetition of issues - but still ensure we have time for meaningful consultation and discussion.
As a result of these discussions, we decided to retain (and make better use of) the Joint Initiative Steering Group (JISG). The following groups will be
• Joint Tax Agent Strategy Steering Group (JTASSG)
• Agent Engagement Group (AEG)
• Joint Initiative on Service Delivery (JISD).
This will be the overarching forum through which professional bodies and HMRC will engage on matters of the highest priority. Lin Homer, HMRC’s Chief Executive, will remain Chair of the quarterly meetings. The main focus of the agenda will alternate between:
• operational matters: HMRC performance, service standards; and
• strategic issues: moving to digital services, working together to reduce errors in returns and so on.
This will ensure that the group remains focused - and HMRC can be held to account, if necessary, on top priorities. In between JISG meetings we’ll continue to set up specific working groups if particular issues require concentrated or specialist attention.
Keeping in touch with agents
We’ll continue to use existing channels to communicate with you and gain feedback. These are: